St. Alban's Expansion

Since 1904, St. Alban's has expanded'; three times, each time retaining the colonial architecture but meeting the needs of the growing church. The first addition, in 1928, provided a two-story parish building housing a kitchen, a large multi-purpose hall, a vestry room and Sunday School rooms.

sa1926

1928 Parish Hall Addition to St. Alban's
The second addition, in 1950, remodeled the east end of the parish house, lengthened the chancel to provide space for a choir and an organ, lengthened the nave and provided a new pulpit and lectern, an altar rail, a chancel rail, and new lighting fixtures.

sa1950s

St. Alban's in 1950s
The third addition, completed'; in 1961, modernized the kitchen and provided another large hall and several classrooms.

sa1961

1961 Addition to St. Alban's
Before making the third addition, the congregation had much to consider. They had to decide whether to buy property in another location and build on it or buy adjoining property and add to the existing structure. They decided on the latter, and it seems to have been a wise decision, for St. Alban's in another location just would not have been the same. Where else could be found such nice old trees and quiet streets near the heart of town?

The manner in which the congregation made this decision is typical of the spirit of St. Alban's. At each step in the planning, the vestry kept the congregation informed. Alternative plans were proposed, suggestions were received from the congregation and from each church group, and every member had an opportunity to vote on the final plans.

Probably the most important milestone in the growth of the church was the establishment of St. Alban's parish in 1946. The boundaries are the Magothy River, Jumper's Hole Road, Benfield Road, and Severn Road on the south; the Pennsylvania Railroad on the west; the Patapaco River, Route 648, and Furnace Branch Road on the north; and Chesapeake Bay on the east.

Under the leadership of the Rev. John Norman Hill, Rector, and the Lay Chairmanship of Richard Carter, a Church Renovation Program was successfully completed in 1975, in which the entire interior of the church edifice was renovated; including new carpeting, painting of all walls and ceiling, cleaning and water-proofing of all stained glass windows, the refinishing of all pews and other church appointments, etc. Again, every member of the parish had opportunity to determine the nature and scope of the renovation. The over-all plan was to preserve the simplicity and beauty of the church.

The history of the building is easier to describe than the intangible body and life of the church, for the people make the church. Just as the present structure is an integration of the old and the new, so is the congregation. The strength of St. Alban's is in its unity, and this can be attributed to the unselfish, dependable work of old and new families alike and to the steady, dominant but not dominating spiritual leadership of its Pastors.

Rectors/Ministers Of St. Alban's

The Rev. Wiley J. Page (the first Resident Minister) - 1909-1919

The Rev. George R. Savage-1919-1927

The Rev. Fred M. Heil - 1927-1934

The Rev. Marcus B. Hitchcock - 1934-1936

The Rev. C. Gilbert Hill, Jr. - 1937-1969

The Rev. Roy S. Stavely, Jr. (Assistant Minister) - 1958-1973

The Rev. John J. Lobell (Assistant Minister) - 1967-1968

The Rev. Thomas C. Jensen - 1970-1973

The Rev. John Norman Hill - 1973-1981

The Rev. Dennis A. Testa - 1981-2005

The Rev. Cindy Tipton-Zile - 2006-2013

The Rev. Paula Datsko-Barker - 2013-2017

bd14538_.gif (1559 bytes)
Prev